3.17.2012

Spring has sprung | Why now is the time to get some photos taken

Spring is finally on its way! This week the weather has been amazing for March, but I'm bummed that I haven't been able to get outside much because I haven't been feeling well. I did get out yesterday with my daughter and we had tons of fun playing in the snow and mud.

Now that it's getting warmer outside, I'm itching to get out and take some photos! I've been doing indoor sessions throughout the cold winter months, but as soon as it's warm enough to go outside without looking like a marshmallow, I want to get out there!

I have talked to a few people who have told me they are interested in getting photos taken, but have mentioned that they want to wait until there are leaves on the trees. Well, I just want to point out that it's not necessary to wait until then. Oh there is nothing at all wrong with having lush green trees as your backdrop, but just because the trees are bare right now does not mean you can't get some amazing and beautiful photos.

So I'm going to give you some reasons why spring is a perfect time to get photos taken outside (and some reasons why outdoor sessions are always better):

  • Right now, with the late afternoon sun lower in the sky, it's not too hot and I don't have to wait until 8 or 9 p.m. to get some of that yummy, golden light that is the best for photos.
  • There are no MOSQUITOS! (and if you are living in Saskatchewan, you know that is a huge plus!)
  • I've got tons of ideas for creative and interesting locations that don't necessarily involve trees at all. Think old fence, brick wall, long dirt road with the big blue sky above.... I could go on.
  • We could do a themed session. I've got lots of ideas for those too. Easter is coming up, so maybe an Easter egg hunt, or puddle jumping!
  • Kids look super cute dressed up in their rain gear ;)
  • I'm always collecting new fun props that we can use, like a cool old chair, colourful umbrella or toys to keep the kids having fun.
  • We can go on a search for new spring life! The buds are just starting to sprout and the birds are chirping. I'm sure we could find some cool natural props to make your photos even more beautiful.
  • I can be way more creative outside than in my studio. With more space to work with, an endless number of backdrops (even in just one location) and natural light, you are guaranteed to get more variety in your photos. Plus, everyone knows how hard it is to get children to sit in one place for any length of time. Outside, I can chase them around while they play and get some amazing candid shots I'd never be able to get in the studio.

There, I think that covers it. I LOVE taking photos outside (if you couldn't already tell), so I will always suggest that to potential clients. There is just something about finding that perfect light, capturing the catch light in someone's eyes, not having to force everyone to squish together in front of a backdrop.

Don't get me wrong, I am so glad I have my studio because Saskatchewan weather is unpredictable and I am learning so much about lighting, posing and using props. But my first love is natural light photography and if it's nice outside, I want to be out there enjoying it!

I hope if you are thinking about booking a session with me, that you won't wait until summer because there will be leaves on the trees then.  Remember, I offer more than just photography services. I am giving you the chance to make some memories too.

On that note, I'm going to leave you a couple shots from this week. First is my daughter riding her little quad outside for the first time, and the other is one of my favourite photos from my latest session (the winner of my giveaway!) Enjoy! :)





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love here! <3 :)