2.09.2012

My small business has big aspirations

So I am going to be completely honest, business has been slow so far this year. I wasn't really surprised, as I understand that Christmas took its toll on people, the winter blues have set in and people don't really want to go outside much. So I've used this time to work on marketing myself and my little business.

As I revamped my prices, looked into offering new products to my clients and researched the industry, I learned a lot. So many people have ventured into the business of photography that it's hard to put yourself out there as someone offering a special, unique and high quality product. At this point, I can't spend thousands of dollars on advertising and marketing, so I have to find other ways to make myself known.

The best form of advertising any small business - especially a small town business - can use is word of mouth. When I first started this business I told my new mom and tot playgroup friends about it, and many of them became my first clients. I put posters around town, and I started my Facebook page and told people to spread the word. I had a booth at the Rosetown Business Garage Sale and I hand out business cards to new people I meet. And now that I have acquired a portfolio of past work, I think that is a big part of why people want to book a photo session or wedding with me as well.

The biggest thing I have learned through this adventure of owning my own business is how important supporting local businesses is. I always kind of knew that and I always tried to shop locally before, but now because I AM a small business owner, I see what it really means. You can go to the city to to do your shopping or have photos taken (and believe me, I know that sometimes it's the best option), but you get so much more by supporting a local business than you do from those places.

Your business means I can help support my family by doing what I love. Because it holds such high stakes for me, I want to put everything I can into your photos. I put hours into ensuring that you have a good experience before, during and after your session. I want to create an experience you will remember and products that you love, because I want you to spread the word about me so I can do the same for other people too. And because I love seeing how happy beautiful photos can make people :)

Since becoming a small business owner, I have tried to connect with others as well. I have worked with Jellybean Accessories (handmade crocheted hats and sweet hair accessories) and Sweet Peas & Honey Bees Boutique (amazing handmade home decor, block sets and photo props) to photograph some of their products and we help each other out by promoting each other on our Facebook pages. It makes me feel good to help out other local businesses because I am one too.

So whenever you have a choice between shopping locally or not, really consider where your money is going and what you will get out of it. I can promise you that if you go with the small business, you will get a lot more than just a product or service. I put a lot of heart into what I do, and I'm sure other small business owners do too.

Newborn cocoon by Jellybean Accessories

Baby girl block set photo props by Sweet Peas & Honey Bees Boutique

Love home decor block set by Sweet Peas & Honey Bees Boutique

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. really love the images! very cute baby image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Jenn. Photography is such a rewarding career :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love here! <3 :)